Date: 27-28 September 2022
Location: IRTA-CReSA, Barcelona, Spain
Attention: This is an in-person internal event for the staff of IRTA-CReSA. No external registration is accepted. If you would like to have a MasterClass at your institute, contact us.
TARGET GROUP: Biologists and non-technical biomedical scientists at IRTA-CReSA.
AZAR Innovations organises an Organ-on-a-chip MasterClass at IRTA-CReSA with the following themes:
- Pulmonary diseases
- Liver Toxicity
- Organs on chips are small medical devices in which researchers can grow living cells to model human organ functions.
- Setting up and operating these small chips with a fluidic system around it requires learning basic principles of physical processes, tools and methods.
- This is a MasterClass where biologists and non-technical users of these systems learn how to choose, set up and work with organ on chips.
This MasterClass consists of:
1. Lectures by AZAR Innovations
- Organ-on-a-chip designs and configurations: helps participants choose or design an organ-on-a-chip system
- Organ-on-a-chip components: enables participants independently choose and implement different components and modules in an organ-on-a-chip system
- Organ-on-a-chip operation: simple but important know-hows about preparation, cell seeding, microfluidic theories and troubleshooting methods (e.g. bubbles and leakages)
- Commercial Organ-on-chips: help participants choose the right system, organ-on-a-chip companies and resources
2. Hands-on lab sessions by AZAR Innovations
- Set up Organ on chips: learn about different perfusion technologies, learn how to connect different components, learn how to prepare chips and seed cells in the chips.
- Operate Organ on chips: tips & tricks, must-know practical information, troubleshoot problems
3. Expert view (online)
Prof.dr. Olivier T. Guenat
Head organs-on-chip Technologies
ARTORG Center, Medical Faculty, University of Bern
Dr. Vivek Thacker
Laboratory of Microbiology and Microsystems
École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
4. Hands-on lab sessions with commercial products
more companies to be confirmed:
Insphero sets the standard for in vitro testing of novel drugs in the pharmaceutical industry. Our physiologically relevant suite of 3D InSight™ Microtissues and Services increase efficiency in drug discovery and safety testing. Founded in 2009, InSphero patent-pending technologies and methods enable large-scale, reproducible production of scaffold-free 3D microtissues for application in the field of liver safety, metabolic disease, and immune oncology.
Microfluidic ChipShop is one of the leading microfluidic products and service providers. A unique feature of the company is its catalogue with a huge variety of off-the-shelf microfluidic components and systems, allowing a low-cost rapid access to lab-on-a-chip technologies, such as Organ-on-Chip.
BeOnChip is one of the leading European companies in organ on chip platforms focused on the recreation of the physiological environment on chip. We provide our customers a complete and unique solution for their research, from microfluidic control systems for biology labs to customizable culture platforms.
5. Organ-on-a-chip Challenge
- Design your idea in an Organ on a chip: Working in a group, you will given a problem to solve. We will help you understand important aspects in every step of the way, and through this, you will learn the important factors from the design to validation of an organ-on-a-chip system.
- Work in a group: You will learn tips & tricks, and useful information from your peers through instructed sessions.
You can find more information about this MasterClass here.